West of the former cistercian monastery, the East Frisian Count Enno had a hunting lodge built in 1612. For the East Frisian princes, the castle complex was not only the center of hunts and social events, but – especially in the 18th century – a princely residence and center of power in summer.
In 1756, the now Prussian administration sold the hunting lodge; the demolition was permitted – and carried out.
Archaeological excavations in 2003/2004 determined the foundations of the building.
On this – and on the map of the master builder Fuchs from 1744 – the designs for an imagination of the hunting lodge are based – as the first ideas.
The detail from a map of the master builder Fuchs from 1744 shows the hunting lodge at the end of the East Frisian princely period.
View of the imagination of the hunting lodge from the Lindenallee.
View of the imagination of the hunting lodge from the access avenue.
The ensemble at the monastery site: The forester's lodge from 1829, the imagination of the Cistercian monastery and the imagination of the princely hunting lodge with the adjoining alley of lime trees, the Lindenallee.